Street Fighting Against Climate Change in a Tesla Model 3

So I have a big announcement to make. And you’ll have to excuse my enthusiasm because this has all been a rather heady experience. But I listened to your feedback and took delivery of a Tesla Model 3 SR+ this past Thursday. If you want to take a look at my new clean energy monster, then feast your eyes below:

IMG_2454

(My new Model 3 SR+ — which I’m calling Clean KITT after Knightrider from the 1980s series.)

It’s a big deal for me for a number of reasons. First, the Model 3 is the most significant vehicle purchase I’ve ever made in terms of cost. Paying 39,500 dollars for a car is something I would have never even dreamed of doing just a decade ago. But when it comes to driving a capable, long-range electric vehicle your prices are going to range from around 36,000 dollars to 40,000 dollars even for the most affordable options. I expect to recoup a decent amount of this cost, though. And I’ll be talking about how in a future blog post.

Comparing the capabilities of other EVs in this price range — such as the Leaf Long Range, the Chevy Bolt, the Hyundai Kona, and the Kia Niro — it became more and more apparent that the Tesla Model 3 was a non-pareil. Here is a vehicle that competes directly with the Mercedes C class and the BMW 3 series on luxury and muscularity. One with a similar all-electric range (240 miles from a 59.5 kW battery pack) and with a similar price, but one that features much faster charging, a far better and more expansive charging network, and integrated electronics intended to maximize its sustainability potential (more on this later as well).

IMG_2471

(Supercharging at the Woodbridge station in Northern Virginia this weekend.)

The disparity became even more apparent after my test-drive on Thursday at the Montgomery Mall Tesla Sales Center followed up by this weekend’s 230 mile round trip journey from Gaithersburg, MD to King George VA and back — including two Supercharger stops in which the Tesla refueled at 50-70 kW and 90-120 kW rates. The kind of fast charging that other vehicle brand EVs only dream of having widespread access to.

Second, this vehicle is really something to be proud of. It’s going to help me cut my driving-based carbon emissions by about 2/3. That’s going to drop my personal emissions by about 2 tons per year. It’s going to enable me to share about another 4 tons per year of carbon cuts through rideshare. And it’s going to let me do it in a very stylish and attractive way. In such a way that will really help me to make the clean energy transition look very, very appealing.

(Introducing Clean KITT!)

Third, my Tesla purchase will be an investment in an all-clean-energy company with an integrated plan to fight climate change. The dollars I sent to Tesla will in turn be spent building massive battery and EV factories, producing solar panels, and sending out more carbon-cutting vehicles and products all over the world. In other words, my actions at home and on the street will help to form part of a global transformation action as well (Planning to buy a Tesla? Click here for 1,000 free Supercharger miles).

In the coming week, I’m heading out on the rideshare circuit in this Tesla through Uber (I’ll be blogging more about how to earn money for a Tesla through rideshare later, but if you want to jump the gun and start now, please help this blog and use my referral code: ROBERTF30288UE).

IMG_2457

(Clean KITT takes on the fossil fueled dinosaurs through rideshare this week!)

So, until next time, I’m off to streetfight against climate change in Tesla Model 3. And if I’m going to go to the increasingly heat-blasted concrete to fight against the biggest challenge ever to face humankind as just little ol’ me, I’m glad that the ally in my corner is this amazing clean machine.

Advertisements

1. This is so great Rob. Keep UP THE SPIRIT! Cheers, Randolph http://www.renewable-randolph.com PS I’d be stoked to order a Tesla with your referral code.

Liked by 4 people

2. detongc

/  April 22, 2019

Cool, cool, cool!

I plan to install a Tesla Home Unit for off-grid electricity generation and life In the straw bale house I’m going to build in TN when I return to the US in a couple years. So good to hear you chose the Model 3…it sounds wonderful! Maybe Tesla will have a workhorse pick-up in a few years.

Liked by 4 people

• I think they are in a race of Rivian at the moment for first pickup. Although, I expect Tesla to really lay it down for its truck option.

Liked by 1 person

• mlp in nc

/  April 25, 2019

Detongc,
      A caution, at the risk of being told to mind my own business. Straw bale as a building material is organic and loose to boot. It will garner mold gradually, as all organic material does. Not good to live in in the long run, since all mold produces mycotoxins. I really don’t know how long it would take to reach a problem level. I suppose the straw could be sprayed with a fungicide, but that would cause its own toxicity problems. I read somewhere about a Splenda like liquid that could be sprayed on wood to stop mold growth, but haven’t researched that and don’t know if it is a viable solution.
      A fellow North Carolinian had a trailer at the beach, and his family was getting sick every time they went down. Then a big storm came through and put a limb through the trailer. There, between the two layers of metal was a dense growth of mold, which would have remained hidden and unsuspected had the limb not breached the wall.

Liked by 2 people

3. very cool, happy earthday, jon

Liked by 3 people

4. Well done! If I had the money I would buy a model 3 too. Right now, I can’t afford a new car, not even a petrol one. Sad!

Liked by 3 people

• Abel Adamski

/  April 22, 2019

Join the Club

Liked by 1 person

• Thx guys. So I basically busted my tail ridesharing in the Elantra to afford the 3. If I can do it on writer’s pay plus rideshare plus not for profit job for the wife, then I think most peeps can do it. If you’re not near a big city, though, rideshare might not help as much.

5. Nancy

/  April 22, 2019

I shake my fist and yell at idiots driving around in new BMWs, Audis and Mercedes. “You could have bought a Tesla!”. They don’t know what they’re missing. They paid twice as much for a gas guzzler. It’s a wonderful feeling to drive past the gas station every week, knowing you’re not helping to speed up climate change, and driving such an amazing piece of technology as a Tesla.

You got a beautiful car, Robert, and it’s a sign of the future, an inspiration for others to do the right thing. I drive a Volt and hope to drive it for another 10 years (right now averaging 198mpg) but my next car will be a Tesla. I’m seeing more Teslas on the road (even up here in the country!).

Liked by 6 people

• Ha! So my dad had a BMW when I was 3-4. That was my only experience with such vehicles. My cars have been Honda CRX, Saturn, Elantra, and now Tesla Model 3. My first EV is a friggin spaceship.

• Marcel Guldemond

/  April 23, 2019

Lol, I mentally do the same thing!

Liked by 1 person

6. Robert in New Orleans

/  April 22, 2019

Congratulations Mr. Fanney, you have made the best choice in my opinion for a new vehicle.

But I will strongly caution you about the need for maintaining a very low operational profile while you and your family are in your vehicle as there are more than few Tesla/Elon Musk haters out there. I would have advised you not to disclose what kind of vehicle that you operate as there are people that are out there who do not care what you stand for. I believe that I can speak for your many viewers and readers that you are an important voice in the struggle against climate change and your personal safety/security is of concern for all of us.

Best Regards,

RiNO

Liked by 3 people

• Thanks Robert. But honestly, you can’t stand for much if you stay invisible. Will do my best to keep the info generally nonspecific while providing as much overall detail as possible, though. Warmest regards!

Liked by 2 people

7. Robert in New Orleans

/  April 22, 2019

Greenland Melting Faster

Forty-six years of Greenland Ice Sheet mass balance from 1972 to 2018

Significance
    We reconstruct the mass balance of the Greenland Ice Sheet for the past 46 years by comparing glacier ice discharge into the ocean with interior accumulation of snowfall from regional atmospheric climate models over 260 drainage basins. The mass balance started to deviate from its natural range of variability in the 1980s. The mass loss has increased sixfold since the 1980s. Greenland has raised sea level by 13.7 mm since 1972, half during the last 8 years.

Liked by 2 people

8. Reblogged this on The Secular Jurist and commented:
    MUST READ!

Liked by 1 person

9. Dave McGinnis

/  April 22, 2019

Good for you and she looks good,too! You got a bargain — my 1984 Mercedes 380SL went for $43,000 new 35 years ago. Hope your T3 is still on the road in 2040.

Liked by 1 person

/  April 23, 2019

Super congratulations to you Robert. You made absolutely the best choice. I am totally jealous and will follow your lead in the near future even though my Volt is a great little car. When you have a couple of hours watch…

To see yesterday’s Tesla autonomous driving event for investors. I learned a ton about their technology, AI, and a lot more and have even more respect for what Tesla is doing. You are now driving a vehicle that is evolving and increasing in real value over time. I presume yours already has the Hardware 3.0 and when you are able to bite the next bullet, and purchase it, the autopilot features will serve you well down the road for making a profit and in the mean time assist with removing the exhaustion that comes with driving. Have fun!

Liked by 1 person

• Just drove with rideshare for 9 hours today. A great way to promote clean energy ownership! All 17 riders were fantastic and totally geeked out about riding in a Tesla. In my opinion, the best way to own a Tesla is to share it!

11. wharf rat

/  April 25, 2019

Liked by 2 people

12. Allan Barr

/  April 29, 2019

Excellent choice Robert and congratulations. Please include/post your referral code every now and then so that those wise enough to emulate you can also use your referral code. I am likely couple of years away from purchasing one as well and would be very happy to use your code.

Liked by 1 person